Monday, June 30, 2008

Our Busy Week

All last week, Avrielle and Chandler went to Vacation Bible School at Grace Baptist. They loved it! This picture was taken on the morning of crazy hair day. Each day they memorized verses from the Bible, had a teaching time, did crafts, ate snack, sang and played games. They were totally exhausted each day when they came home. Avrielle really bonded with her table leader, and I am really thankful for all the volunteers there that care about teaching the kids God's Word.
On Friday afternoon, we went to Castaic Lake and let the kids ride on the intertube. It was their first time this year and they were much more brave than last year. Instead of hanging on for dear life, they both entertained us by dancing like rock stars or trying to stand up and surf.
On Saturday, Chandler participated in his first swim meet of the season. Each summer they have a special meet for kids that are 8 and under to get them used to how a meet runs. He did really well, and we are looking forward to the rest of the meets this summer.
Right after the meet, we all headed to Vista Valencia for our 3rd golf lesson. I was hoping it would have gone better, and as I am typing, I am still feeling the effects of holding the club too tightly. Ouch! Chandler was so worn out from VBS, tubing, and the swim meet that he decided to take a golf break and crash in the shade. A few minutes later, David told the instructor that he had just had chemo a few days earlier, and he was getting dizzy, so he took a break too. That left only me. So I basically had a 2 hour lesson hitting one ball after another on the driving range in the middle of the afternoon, with no lunch. I was getting so shaky, I thought I might faint too. I wish I could say I improved after all that, but I'm not sure if I can go that far.
Later that night, my friend Charissa, Avrielle and I went to see Taming of the Shrew in Hart Park. I was so proud of myself that I was doing something educational for Avrielle during the summer, until half way through the play she leaned over and whispered to me, "Mom, I like the play, but which one is William Shakespeare?" Boy, do I have a lot of work to do in that area:)
On Sunday, we went to church and our pastor Scott preached an amazing sermon. It was just what I needed to hear. If any of you are in the middle of hard times and weren't able to hear it, you have to take some time to listen. You wont be disappointed. The sermon was called The Great "I Am" in the storm. If you are interested, first click on Placerita Baptist on my side bar, then on Audio downloads, from that menu, click on Mark, and from there you can listen. It was so good and definitely worth your time.
Today, Aunt Laura is going to watch the kids while David and I go to see the doctor from his work. We are hoping that this doctor will say that his cancer could have been caused from all the things he has been exposed to there and then he will get his sick time back. That would be a huge blessing to us now, and if it should ever reoccur in the future. Tomorrow, we are going to see the doctor at USC, so I will try to keep you posted.

1 comment:

Kelli I. said...

Thanks for the updates. I am always so encouraged by your ability to enjoy life even in the midst of hard times. I will be praying for your meetings with doctors this week. Please keep us posted on what they say.

I'm so sad I didn't see you when I was in town last week. The week went by so quickly...Let's get together next time for sure!

Much love and prayers,
Kelli