David has been taking the train into work this week, so the kids and I got an idea. We decided to sneak into the train stain parking lot and decorate his car for Valentines Day. Mind you this was a very dangerous operation. There was an eighty year old, unarmed security guard patrolling the area waiting to pounce on any hoodlums. We got his spare set of keys and filled the car with balloons and stuffed animals. Then we stuck decals over all the windows. My favorite part was writing "Love Phrases" in red lipstick all over the windows!!!! We wrote Cutie pie, love machine, hot babe, sexy daddy etc..all over. The best part was that he had to get in it and drive in front of everyone. It was so much fun and we giggled the whole time in anticipation of him getting home.
This list is going around Facebook, but since it took so long to write, I thought I post it here for my Non Facebook Friends.
1. I am a major list maker. When I wake up in the morning, the first thing I do is make a list of what I want to do during the day. I think I do this because I have a horrible memory. Sometimes I think I am getting dementia and I am only 37, or is it 36???
2. My high school boyfriend accidently cracked my head open with a golf club while we were on a date.
3. I always like to read a book before I see the movie, and I make my kids do the same thing. Maybe that is the teacher in me. At least I don’t make them compare and contrast the two.
4. I am a horrible speller, and it was so embarrassing trying to write words on the blackboard when I couldn’t spell. I think I was a good role model though because I would tell them that we are always learning, even me, and don’t be afraid to look things up in the dictionary. Thank goodness for spell check now!!
5. I have taken my 95 year old grandma grocery shopping almost every Sunday evening for the past 3 years.
6. When I was in junior high, I thought smoking grass was the same as smoking lawn grass, so I rolled some lawn grass up in a paper towel, lit it on fire, and tried to smoke it . 7. On the same topic of smoking, my friend and I picked up used cigarette butts from the gutter and tried to smoke them because I was too afraid to get real ones. Gross!
8. I absolutely can’t sit in the inside of a restaurant booth. I have to be on the outside. 9. The thing I hate most about my body is my sweaty hands. I knew I was going to marry David when he held my hand and it didn’t bother him. By the way, he is the one who had to fingerprint me for my teaching credential, and I tried several times to get out of it. Unfortunately, Avrielle inherited sweaty hand too. Poor baby.
10. I used to be allergic to chocolate. Every time I ate some, I would sneeze continually for hours afterward.
11. I originally went to Cal State Northridge to be a Deaf Studies Major. It had one of the best programs in the nation at the time I went there. I took several years of ASL before my sweaty hands got in the way, and I had to change. I’m glad I wasn’t born deaf!
12. David and I met in the college department at Grace Community Church even though we both grew up in Jewish families.
13. I am very fortunate to have had Mattie for a friend for 30+ years. We grew up as next door neighbors and still talk almost every day. She has had the biggest influence on my life and I thank God for her constantly.
14. I came up with Avrielle’s name in a dream. When I was pregnant I was always thinking of baby names and somehow I woke up in the middle of the night and told David about it. I’m glad he liked it too.
15. I have cried more this last year than I ever have in my whole life.
16. I love trying new recipes but I never follow them exactly.
17. I got a “D” in my Junior High Sewing elective. It was supposed to be a kick back class.
18. My parents taught me how to snow ski when I was 5, and we went to Mammoth almost every month until I was 14.
19. Novocain wears off really quickly on me and several times I have felt the drill on my teeth. I hate going to the dentist!
20. My second and third toes cross over each other.
21. Parenting 2 children has been more challenging than teaching 34.
22. At my children’s swim meets, I get more nervous than they do. Major butterflies invade my tummy.
23. I should be cleaning my house right now instead of typing this. We are having company tonight. Yikes!
24. I don’t collect anything, but I have always wanted to and I love looking at other people’s collection of things. Does anyone have any good ideas?
25. I have really enjoyed reading the lists of friends that have done them before me. It takes time, but they are so fun to read. Thank-you.
David had his doctor appt. at USC tonight, and the doctor said everything still looks good. She didn't feel any swollen glands, and his blood work was fine. He will have another PET scan sometime in March. The second update is that he didn't get the promotion he was hoping for this time around, but he did get a lot of positive feedback from his captain and lieutenant. He scored in the outstanding pool for the interview which means he was one of the top four candidates considered for the job. The two people that did get the job each had 10 to 15 more years seniority than he did. David studied so hard for the interview, and I am so proud of him. I know he feels good because he gave it his best shot even though the odds of getting the position were against him. So we are rejoicing in his health and in God's perfect timing for his place at work. Thanks for praying.
I am happily married to my beloved and my friend, David, and I am a mom to my precious children, Avrielle and Chandler. I started this blog in January,2008 as a way to keep our friends and family updated when my husband was diagnosed with Hodgkin's Lymphoma. Little did I know that my dad, a non smoker, would be diagnosed with lung cancer also only two weeks later. My dad passed away on March 22, 2008, only 2 1/2 months after his diagnosis. These last few months have been a trial, but God has been good and faithful, and kept us in His hands.
We added a guest book at the bottom of the blog page. Please sign it and add a picture if you would like. It is really easy, I promise! We would love to see who is out there reading. Love, The Smith Family
Chandler: "Mom, could I just marry my sister? That way I don't have to kiss anybody new."
Avrielle: As we are trying to find my car in the crowded parking lot, "There it is mom, I memorized your licence placemat."
Mom to Avrielle: "It's time to brush your teeth." Avrielle: "May I appeal, I need to defrost more from waking up."
Mom to Chandler: "If you're not thankful for your dinner, maybe I should take it away, and all you will have to eat is some bread." Chandler: "Sounds great!" Mom: " Ok, since that didn't work, How about if we take away all your toys too, so you will see how much you have to be thankful for..." Chandler: "I'll just play with my bread!"
Chandler as he is trying to throw a dirty kleenex into the trashcan. "He shoots, (it lands on top of Avrielle's head) He SCORES!!!
Wow Avrielle, that was a quick shower. Did you wash your hair? "I only put conditioner on it, because I washed it last night and I just needed to remind it that it had been washed already so it will obey me this morning."
Chandler: "Dad, could you please make sure you take the right sandwich to work tomorrow? I don't wan't you to leave the healthy one for me by mistake."
Chandler: Can you not put gel in my hair this morning? If I get it cut later, it will hurt because it will be like they are cutting through a wall of steel!
Chandler at Trader Joes: Why does nanny have to take so long reading every label in the freezer aisle? Can't it be the "try out" aisle instead???
Chandler telling a story at dinner: "Not yesterday, but the yesterday before..."
Mom to Chandler: Your closet is a mess. Yeah, I know, it's always an adventure because I get to find new undiscovered sightings. Mom: What kind of undiscovered sightings? Well, you know, like, I'll put something in there when I'm seven and then discover it again when I'm fourteen.
Mom to Chandler: What is the most important thing you learned from Papa? He taught me never to hit people with the golf ball when I'm chipping.
Mom to Avrielle: What is your favorite memory with Papa? He took me to the American Girl Store, and walked all around with me explaining the history of all the dolls until I found the one I wanted.
Chandler, What does it mean to store up treasures in heaven? Well, it's like God has cubbies for each person, and when you do something that pleases Him, He puts a trophy in your cubby."
Chandler after hearing the bedtime story of Corderoy. "Mom, some stories are so good, I feel like I want to cry inside when I hear them."
How do you like the pistachio Chandler? It's sort of medium low on the scale of goodness.
Chandler while looking at a pre -cancer picture of David, "Wow Dad, I don't remember that you used to have an afro!"
Chandler, you need to wipe the chocolate off your face! Do I have to mom? If I leave it on, I can taste it again later!
Avrielle while watching Taming of the Shrew in the park: "I love the play mom, but which one is William Shakespeare?"
Chandler: Mom, can you please buy some more string cheese? It really puts you to work! Mom: I thought you don't like doing hard work. I love hard work when it comes to my food!
Chandler to mom: "Do I have to open my Christmas presents? I want to warm up to the day first."
Avrielle watching Taming of the Shrew in Hart Park. "Mom, I like the play, but which one is William Shakespeare?"
"Avrielle, You have been really quiet since the debate has been on, do you have any questions about what is going on or what they are talking about?" She look over to us very seriously, and said,"Mom, I think I understand what they are saying, but I only have one question. How can they stand there and talk so long without having to pee?"