Saturday, March 22, 2008

Hospice

The last two days have flown by. On Thursday, the doctors decided that my dad's cancer is very aggressive, and that they are no longer able to treat it with medicine. His symptoms have continued to get worse. He is no longer able to eat or drink, and his neck and extremities are begining to swell again. I have heard that cancer is a gracious disease in that you have time to prepare and say goodbye to the ones you love, and I am thankful we have had that opportunity. On the flip side, he is definitely suffering and it is very difficult for everyone to watch. It is not a way that I would ever want to die. He came home yesterday afternoon to begin hospice care. I had an idea in my head that hospice was this romantic way to die without suffering in the peace and quiet of your own home, but I was very disillusioned, because it is nothing like I invisioned. Yesterday was totally chaotic and exausting trying to take care of my dad and at the same time figuring out the equipment, medications etc. I will spare you all the details, but there is so much to learn, and no grace period. It took six of us working together just to function. It is so wierd when I scroll down in the blog and look at the pictures at Chandler's birthday and Disneyland and think that that was only a little over a month ago. Please pray for all of us.

3 comments:

Monique said...

Darrin's mom is a hospice nurse in AZ. It can be overwhelming for the family but it really is the best thing for him during this phase of cancer as hospital nurse's are trained to "cure" and hospice nurse's are trained to "help" make your Dad comfortable. They tend to have a better handle on pain mangement which sounds like this is exactly what your Dad needs right now. I'll be praying for your Dad and that the hospice nurse would be fabulous and very attentive to his needs and your needs too! Praying for your kiddo's too during this scary and sad time. We love you all!
Monique and family.

Cherie Baker Vann said...

Hi Lauren, my mom went through hospice, if you have ANY questions about ANYTHING, including how to handle how everyone is reacting, how to interact with the hospice nurses, etc - PLEASE feel free to call me - 818-730-9634. My mom's hospice was very sudden too - and it takes some time to get used to it happening. Don't worry about feeling overwhelmed or feeling like you are just sort of floating through your days - I've been there too. Just feel what you feel and know that God is right there with you - and that we are praying for you! God is still the God of miracles!! You never know what He will do! Much love, Cherie Baker

Carl, Melitsa & Aiden said...

I am so sad to read that your dad is not doing well. Please know that we are here praying for all of you during this very hard time. May you take comfort in the truth that God is completely sovereign over everything in our lives, even that which seems too much to bear. We will keep lifting each of you up to the Lord!!