Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Waiting a Week

David's doctor decided to wait a week due to the cough and do treatment #8 next Tuesday. He prescribed a steroid that we will try for a week and see how it goes. From what I understand, there is no definite way of knowing for sure if the cough is related to the Bleomycin. The Chemo that he takes is called ABVD, and the "B" stands for Bleomycin. What we will have to pray about and decide is whether we want to cut that drug out of the treatment. Since we don't know for sure if the cough is even a result of that drug, it is a hard decision to make. The cough has kept him from work this week because it is too difficult to talk on the phone, carry on conversations with co-workers or drive a car in the middle of a spell. It is also hard on his stomach muscles and physically exhausting. He said he would take nausea over the cough which I find really hard to believe but it puts what he is feeling in perspective. Anyway, we are very thankful because we felt like the Lord answered our prayers for wisdom and direction at the appointment today, and we will trust Him for next week as well. Thank-you to everyone who is praying for us too. Yesterday when we talked to the doctor on the phone, he didn't seem to take our concerns seriously, but today he was different and we felt good about the decision he made. It is interesting in medicine to see that there aren't as many clear cut answers as I once thought, and there are so many variables with each decision to make, but I'm glad our God is all knowing and none of this is confusing to Him. It reminds me of Proverbs 3 "Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him and He will direct your paths."

No comments: