Sunday, January 25, 2009

Grandparent's Day

Last night, I was having the kids start some of their school assignments for Monday. One of the things they had to do was write a paragraph about one of their grandparents to read at Grandparents Day on Wed. They both chose to write about Papa Bob. After they were done, we read them, checked them over, and then I sent them to brush their teeth and get tucked in for the night. About 20 minutes later, Chandler came out of his room with his eyes welled up with tears. He asked, "Mom will you pray for me?" At first I couldn't figure out what was wrong. Normally, when he gets out of bed, it is because he had a bad dream and is afraid, but he hadn't been asleep long enough. Then I noticed he was wearing the shark tooth necklace around his neck that my dad brought him from Hawaii a few years ago. I said, "You miss Papa don't you?" He crawled in my lap and tears just began to flow. I of course couldn't pray out loud because I would cry too, so I just held him. He told me that he wanted to call Papa today and tell him that he won the High Point award in swimming. I told him that there have been lots of times I wanted to call him too. It seems like these last few weeks have been hard again as we are reliving the "one year ago todays" It was this time last year that everything began, so when I think of Chan's birthday which is on Tues, I can't help but remember last year when we all were together. I hope Grandparent's Day won't be too emotional for them. I know they are thankful for the grandparents that they do have, but this day is just stirring up a lot of memories and the emotions are all still fresh.
On a side note.. On Wednesday at 1:00pm , David is taking an interview for a promotion at work. He was supposed to have a doctor appointment at USC that day, but we will reschedule it. He got a call out last night for a shooting, so he is functioning on very little sleep. I would love for him to get this spot. The chance doesn't come about very often, and there is a lot of competition. Please pray that he would be able to do his best, honor the Lord, and not worry about the lack of time he has to prepare. You can pray that if the Lord wills, he would get the spot too! He is studying like crazy already. Also, whoever does get the position we would trust God and know that he is sovereign over every event in our lives even if it doesn't turn out the way we would like. Thanks

1 comment:

Natalie said...

Oh Lauren. That must be so rough for all you!! I will be praying for you guys this week! Hoping the interview for Dave went well.